Category: Churches

Sagaya Madha Church, Thoraipakkam, OMR Road, Chennai

A Brief History Sagaya Madha Church, Thuraipakkam located on the Old Mahabalipuram Road is 6 kms away from Thiruvanmiyur and 10 kms away from Santhome Cathedral Basilica. Around 40 years ago, Parish Priest of Kovalam Fr. K.M. Joseph had a humble beginning by erecting a small hut for the people of Thuraipakkam to have their religious services, at the same place where we want to build the new Church. Services at the hut continued even after inaugurating the new church in Perungudi in 1984. In 1999, Fr. Mathew Vettical put efforts in declaring Thuraipakkam church as a substation after replacing the hut to a concrete structure and was inaugurated by Rt. Rev. Dr. Lawrence Pius, Auxiliary Bishop of Madras – Mylapore and dedicated to the Mother of Perpetual Help. Later Fr. Thomas Mundackal expanded the church both sides to satisfy the growing needs. In 2007 Church was elevated to an independent parish with further extensions and blessed by Most Rev. Dr. Neethinathan, Bishop of Chingleput on 25thMarch 2007, when Fr. Patrick was the Parish Priest of Perungudi. Fr. Joseph Sengol’s contribution in making this place getting the Independent parish is inevitable. Fr. Arockiaraj became the first Parish Priest of the independent parish.

Sagaya-Madha-Church-300x114

Present Status

  1. Over the years there was a considerable number devotees have increased and present church is not able to accommodate their needs.
  2. Catechism, Evening tuitions for the poor in the locality and other religious organizations are not finding enough space to gather and function well.
  3. Rainy seasons bring leaking issues since the existing Church was altered in the past and it is not in good condition to alter again.
  4. Our parishioners are going to other Churches as the result of space crunch.
  5. Major religious events and other ceremonies are becoming chaotic due to space.

New Church

New Church has been planned for a built area measuring 12000 Sq Ft having two levels. First floor is meant for religious worship purpose and the ground level is for multipurpose.

Sagaya-Madha-Church-OMR

We, Sagaya Madha Parish family request your kind self to contribute generously towards rebuilding the Church and get blessed abundantly. Our parish family is confident to get contribution to complete this noble purpose from kind hearts.

Mass Timings:

mass_timings_omr

Contact:
Rev. Fr. Jacob Alex
Parish Priest
Sagaya Madha Church
2/139, Gangaiamman Koil Street, Chennai – 600 097
Tamilnadu, INDIA.

Tel : +91 (44) 2496 2772
Fax : +91 2496 2772
Email : sagayamadhachurch2007@rediffmail.com

For more information please visit:
www.sagayamadhachurch.org
www.catholiconline.in

Search Keywords: Sagaya Madha Church Thoraipakkam OMR Road Chennai, Sagaya Madha Church OMR, Sagaya Madha Church Thoraipakkam, Catholic Churches in OMR, Catholic Churches in Old Mahabalipuram Road, Old Mahabalipuram Road Church, Churches in OMR, OMR Madha Church, Madha Church Thoraipakkam, Sagaya Madha Church Old Mahabalipuram Road, Catholic Churches in Old Mahabalipuram Road, Churches in Old Mahabalipuram Road

Churches in OMR

IDA Gerizim Church
1/530 Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Old Mahabalipuram, Thoraipakkam, Chennai-600097
Contacts: 044 24962066
Landmark: Near Thoraipakkam bus stop

Vaanathin Vaasal Thiru Sabai
Rajiv Gandhi Salai, PTC Colony, Chennai-600097
Contacts: 9840767640
Landmark: Near PTC Bus stop

Caluary Community Church
No 5/339 Rajiv Gandhi Salai, OMR, Okkiyampettai, Chennai 600097
Contact: 9003180681 9382743680
Landmark: Near Bus Stop

Cornerstone Revival Church
Ponniamman Koil, Rajiv Gandhi Salai, OMR, Sholinganallur, Chennai 600119
Contact: 9710216499
Landmark: Near Infosys

C.D.M Christs Deliverance Church
T.V.K Street, Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Kazhipattur, Padur, Chennai- 600103
Contacts: 9884575209
Landmark: Near To Bus Stop

Advent Christian Church
Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Padur, Chennai- 600103
Landmark: Near To Bus Stop

Gate of Heaven Church
No 4/675, Rajiv Gandhi Salai, OMR, PTC Colony, Chennai – 600097
Landmark: Near PTC Colony Bus stop

St. AntonysChurch, Paschal Nagar, Jageri, Kollegal Dt. Karnataka.

 St. AntonysChurch, Paschal Nagar, Jageri, Kollegal Dt. Karnataka.

St. Francis Xavier’s Church, Broadway, Chennai

The Catholics of Broadway known as ‘Black Town’ were attending Mass at St. Mary’s Catghedral in George Town till 1843. As the local population increased, a small chapel was built in 1850 at Broadway. On 3rd December, 1865 a new Church in honour of St. Francis Xavier was constructed and consecrated In 1878 it was erected as a separate Parish. The First Parish Priest was Rev. Fr. D. Doyle. From 1878 to 1929 this parish was managed by Diocesan Priests.

From 1929 this parish was entrusted to the Salesians. After the Salesians took up this Parish, devotion to Mary Help of Christians was promoted. In 1953 the Parish Church was renovatged and consecrated by Rev. Fr. Orfeo Mantovani SDB. From then this Church was dedicated to Mary Help of Christians.

The feast of Mary Help of Christians is celebrated on 24th May. On 8th September 2005 the present Archbishop His Grace Most Rev. Dr. A.M. Chinnappa SDB DD Ph.D issued a decree elevating this Parish as a Shrine of Mary Help of Christians of the Archdiocese.

St. Francis Xavier’s Church
38, Broadway,
Chennai – 600 108.

- This informations were complied from the Directory 2005 of Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.

Sagaya Matha Church, Bharathiyar Nagar, Chennai

This Parish was bifurcated from Ennore and established as a Parish in 1980. This Parish was earlier maintained by the Salesians.

Sagaya Matha Church
50, Bharathiyar Nagar
Ennore Beach Road
Ennore Post., Chennai – 600 057

- This informations were complied from the Directory 2005 of Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.

Annai Velankanni Shrine, Besant Nagar, Chennai

In 1971, this Church was a substation of St. Louis Church, Adyar. Fr. P.T. Arulappa, the then Parish Priest, St. Louis Church, Adyar and a great Missionary started Our Lady of Vailankanni Church under trying conditions. The Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore, Most Rev. Dr. R. Arulappa, erected it as a separate Parish in 1973. The imposing 97 feet belfry was declared open by the then Chief Minister, Dr. M. Karunanidhi on 27th August 1972.

On 15th August 1985 a bigger Church was blessed and consecrated by Archbishop Most Rev. Dr. R. Arulappa. By the efforts of Rev. Fr. P.J. Lawrence Raj, several extensions and renovations were made to this Shrine. A beautiful community hall, stalls Museum and class room blocks were constructed in May 2000, nearly 8 grounds were purchased and a beautiful stage was erected and dedicated to Jubilee 2000. In 2001 a small Chapel for the blessed Sacrament was built. In 2002 grotto depicting the miracles of Our Lady of Good Health was created. In 2003 Mother Mary’s Square and Reconciliation Chapel was constructed.

From 2000 to 2003, 3 grounds were purchased in which the new Convent building stands. On 8th September 2005 this Church was decreed as a Shrine of the Archdiocese of Madras-Mylapore by the Most Rev. Dr. A.M. Chinnappa SDB, Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore.


Annai Velankanni Shrine
Elliot’s Beach Road,
Besant Nagar, Chennai – 600 020
Phone 044 2491 1246 / 2446 6923
http://www.vailankannishrinechennai.org

- This informations were complied from the Directory 2005 of Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.

Mary Help of Christians Church, Basin Bridge, Chennai

Basin Bridge was erected in 1954 and dedicated to Mary Help of Christians. The first Parish Priest is Fr. Ignatius Rubio. Most of the members of this Church are economically backward. The Parish celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2004.

Mary Help of Christians Church
108, D’Castor Road,
Pulianthope, Basin Bridge
Chennai – 600 012
Parish Phone: 044 2667 1060 / 2667 0041
Res phone: 2667 3821 / 2667 1280

- This informations were complied from the Directory 2005 of Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.

Arockia Annai Church, Dindigul

Arockia Annai Church,
N.G.O Colony, Dindigul.
Bell Tower Blessed and Opend by The Most Rev. Antony Pappusame, Bishop of Dindigul.

Don Bosco Church, Ayanavaram, Chennai

Ayanavaram was bifurcated from Perambur and erected as a Parish on 4th December, 1966. The first Parish Priest was Fr. Augustine Moolacherry. It was entrusted to the Salesians on 31st March 1978.

The Church of St. John Bosco was built and blessed on 16th July 1978. This parish celebrated the Silver Jubilee of the new Church in 2003. Villivakkam and Sidco Nagar parishes were carved out of this parish.

Don Bosco Church (Estd:1966)
86, P.E. Koil West Mada Street
Ayanavaram, Chennai – 600 23.

- This informations were complied from the Directory 2005 of Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.

Sacred Heart Garrison Church, Avadi, Chennai

Initially a small Chapel was built by Fr. John Vincent for the convenience of the workers employed in the Heavy Vehicles Factory and the Priest officiating in the Parish Church of Avadi attended to the spiritual needs of these workers. This was subsequently made as a sub-station of Avadi. It was erected as a Parish by Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore, Dr. R. Arulappa, in 1986 and the first Parish Priest was Fr. T.S. Kurian. In 2003 Fr. Prasad renovated the Church and constructed a grotto to Our Lady of Lourdes Devi Nagar and Annanur Parish were carved out of this Parish. In 2004, Morai, which was the sub-station of Devi Nagar, was entrusted to this Parish. Apart from this, the Parish has two more sub-stations in Kovil Pathaagai and Poongpuzhil Nagar.

Sacred Heart Garrison Church,
HVF Estate, Avadi Camp ,
Chennai – 600 054

- This informations were complied from the Directory 2005 of Archdiocese of Madras – Mylapore.